A Lubec, Maine, neighbor
Calais, population 3,123, is an international community 47 miles from Lubec on the St. Croix River across from St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada.
The oldest existing house in Calais is at 245 Main Street. The Holmes Cottage, built in 1804, has been restored by the town's historical society and is open to the public in summer.
Other historical buildings include the Calais Free Library (1892), the old firehouse (which is being restored to its original state and is known as St. Croix Firehouse No. 1), City Hall, and St. Anne's Episcopal Church, which was built in 1853. The church has been restored and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Whitlock's Mill Light, still a working lighthouse, is three miles south of Calais on the south bank of the St. Croix River.
The St. Croix Island International Historic Site commemorates the 1604 French settlement.