About East Machias
A Lubec, Maine, neighbor
East Machias, a bucolic village of 1,368 people (2010 census) at the confluence of the Machias and East Machias rivers, incorporated in 1826, is home to the Downeast Salmon Federation's East Machias Aquatic Research Center (EMARC), RoyToy wooden log building sets, and the Riverside Inn and Restaurant. Washington Academy, an independent high school founded in 1792, looks down at the river in East Machias. Part of the Down East Sunrise Trail system follows the old rail bed along the river.