A Lubec, Maine, neighbor
Harrington is an old seafaring and shipbuilding village with a population of 1,004 at the 2010 census. The town is at the head of Narraguagus Bay, and beside Harrington Bay and Pleasant Bay on the Gulf of Maine.
Harrington is crossed by U.S. Route 1 and U.S. Route 1A. It is bordered by the towns of Milbridge to the west, Cherryfield to the northwest, Columbia to the north, and Addison to the east.
The Frank E. Woodworth Preserve, at the southeastern tip of Ripley Neck in Harrington, consists of approximately 130 acres, including three islands. Two of the islands, Peter and George, are accessible by foot at low tide. There is a loop trail around the point with beach access on the south.
Originally called Plantation No. 5, Harrington was one of six townships east of the Union River granted in 1762 by the Massachusetts General Court to an association of petitioners. First settled about 1765, it had a population of 177 on June 17, 1797, when incorporated as Harrington.
Farmers grew wheat and potatoes in the town's sandy loam. Harrington developed a considerable trade in lumber, and by 1859 contained two sawmills, three shingle mills, and two lath mills. There was a gristmill, two brickyards, a tannery, and 18 shipbuilders. In 1886, industries also included a sailmaker, and a boot and shoe manufacturer. Today it is home to the Worcester Wreath Company, founders of Wreaths Across America.
(Information adapted from Wikipedia and harringtonmaine.com)